What is a cookie?
A cookie is a harmless text file that is stored in your browser when you visit almost any web page. The usefulness of the cookie is that the web is able to remember your visit when I navigate back to that page. Although many people do not know, cookies are used for 20 years, when the first browsers for the World Wide Web appeared.
What is NOT a cookie?
It is not a virus, nor a Trojan, nor a worm, nor spam, nor spyware, nor does it open pop-up windows.
What information does a cookie store?
cookies do not usually store sensitive information about you, such as credit cards or data bank accounts, photographs, your ID or personal information, etc. The data they keep is of a technical nature, personal preferences, content customization, etc.
The web server does not associate you as a person but with your web browser. In fact, if you browse usually with Internet Explorer and try to browse the same web with Firefox or Chrome you will see that the web you do not realize that you are the same person because you are actually associating the browser, not the person.
What kind of cookies are there?
- Cookies : They are the most basic and allow, among other things, to know when it is browsing a human or an automated application, when browsing an anonymous user and a registered user, basic tasks for the operation of any dynamic web.
- Analysis Cookies : They collect information about the type of browsing you are doing, the sections you use the most, products consulted, time zone of use, language, etc. Advertising
- Cookies advertising: They show advertising based on your browsing, your country of origin, language, etc.
What are own cookies and those of third parties?
The own cookies are those generated by the page you are visiting and the third parties are those generated by external services or providers such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if I disable cookies ?
To understand the scope of disabling cookies , we show you some examples:
- You will not be able to share content from that website on Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- The website will not be able to adapt the contents to your personal preferences, as is usually the case in online stores.
- You will not be able to access the personal area of that website, such as My account , or My profile or My orders .
- Online stores: It will be impossible for you to make purchases online, they will have to be by telephone or visiting the physical store if you have one.
- It will not be possible to customize your geographical preferences such as time zone, currency or language.
- The website will not be able to perform web analytics on visitors and traffic on the web, which will make it difficult that the web is competitive.
- You will not be able to write on the blog, you will not be able to upload photos, post comments, rate or rate content. The web will also not be able to know if you are a human or an automated application that publishes spam .
- It will not be possible to show sectorized advertising, which will reduce the advertising revenue of the web.
Can cookies be deleted?
Yes. Not only delete, but also block, in a general or particular way for a specific domain.
To delete cookies from a website you must go to your browser settings and there you can Search for those associated with the domain in question and proceed to remove them.
Configuration of cookies for the most popular browsers
Here's how to access a specific cookie from the Chrome browser. Note: These steps may vary depending on the browser version:
- Go to Settings or Preferences through the File menu or by clicking the icon customization that appears at the top right.
- You will see different sections, click the Show advanced options option.
- Go to Privacy , Content settings .
- Select All cookies and site data .
- A list will appear with all cookies ordered by domain. To make it easier for you find the cookies of a certain domain enter partially or totally the address in the Search cookies field.
- After performing this filter, one or more lines will appear on the screen with the cookies of the web requested. Now you just have to select it and press the X to proceed with its removal.
To access the cookies configuration of the Internet Explorer browser, follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Tools , Internet Options
- Click on Privacy .
- Move the slider to adjust the level of privacy you want.
To access the cookies configuration of the Firefox browser, follow these steps (they can vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Options or Preferences depending on your operating system.
- Click on Privacy .
- Under History choose Use custom settings for history .
- Now you will see the option Accept cookies , you can activate or deactivate it according to your preferences.
To access the cookies configuration of the Safari for OSX browser, follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Preferences , then Privacy .
- In this place you will see the option Block cookies so that you can adjust the type of blocking you want perform.
To access the cookies configuration of the Safari for iOS browser, follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Settings , then Safari .
- Go to Privacy and Security , you will see the option Block cookies to adjust the type block you want to perform.
To access the cookies configuration of the browser for Android devices, follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Launch the browser and press the Menu key, then Settings .
- Go to Security and Privacy , you will see the option Accept cookies to activate or uncheck the box.
To access the cookies configuration of the browser for Windows Phone devices, follow These steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Open Internet Explorer , then More , then Settings
- You can now enable or disable the Allow cookies box.